Starting salary: $44,054.40 per year plus full YMCA benefits
Start date: November 2021
This is a full-time position working 40 hours per week. Hours will include
occasional weeknights and weekends.
• Post-Secondary degree or diploma in Recreational Leadership, Child Studies,
Education, or related field
• Minimum 5 years related work experience in camping
• 2 years’ experience in a leadership position in a multi-site camp operations
• Minimum 4 years experience supervising staff and volunteers
• Excellent verbal, written and communication skills
• Proven knowledge of and experience facilitating high quality recreational, outdoor and/or environmental programs
• Relationship building skills
• Strong skills in budget management, planning and organization
• Demonstrated ability to coach, support, and motivate others
• Flexibility, ability to work independently, while prioritizing and managing multiple tasks with various deadlines
• Good knowledge of relevant business technology (excel, word, outlook, etc)
• Current standard first aid and CPR-(C) certification
• Clear Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search required upon hiring
• Physically able to participate in ongoing physical activity
• Has reliable transportation throughout the Niagara Region
• Successful applicants will be required to adhere to the YMCA of Niagara COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
• Develop, manage and lead up to 175 camp staff during Summer, Winter Break and March Break Camps to deliver excellent programs throughout the Niagara Region.
• Lead the camp planning, communication, promotions and marketing initiatives.
• Develop budget assumptions in partnership with the General Manager; manage
finances for all programs to ensure budget goals and targets are met.
• Manage staff and volunteers including recruitment, training, coaching and
development and performance management.
• Develop and foster relationships and collaboration with multiple community
partners and funders.
• Oversee the implementation of feedback tools with campers, staff and parents.
• Monitor and coordinate the camp grants, wage enhancements and internships.
• Implement strategies and systems to minimize risk to campers and staff and increase parent, staff and camper satisfaction.
• Negotiate with School Boards, Municipalities and other organizations regarding rental fees, space and equipment.
• Support camp set up and registration through the Camp Brain system.
• Maintain positive relationships and ongoing communication with other YMCA departments.
• Establish relationships and ongoing communication with camp parents.
• Exercise strong decision making and judgement on a continual basis when working through situations that arise.
• Provide leadership for the implementation of YMCA Nature Quest, physical literacy, leadership, and high-quality outcome-based programming in camp.
• Role model excellent customer service.
• During non-camp times the Camp Director may also be responsible for supporting and the possible oversight and support of components of other YMCA operations. Flexibility will be required.
• Other duties as required.
• Business Orientation: Develops plans and takes action with a view to developing programs and services that will generate results.
• Leadership: Guides, motivates, and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
• Results Oriented: The ability to lead, manage and achieve identified goals.
• Self-Management: Works independently with minimal supervision.
• Coaching and Development: Commits to assisting participants, volunteers, staff and self in continuous learning and development.
• Relationship Building and Collaboration: Works proactively to develop positive relations with participants, staff and volunteers.
• Problem Solving: Identifying issues and coming up with possible solutions, selecting appropriate responses and implementing them.
• Creativity and Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help us achieve desired results.
• Child and Youth Focused: Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to apply online at ymcaniagara.campbrainstaff.com by October 25 at 12pm.
Internal applicants are expected to notify their supervisor before applying.
Only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Accessibility accommodations and materials in alternate formats for individuals with disabilities can be arranged upon request.
For more information on other opportunities at the YMCA of Niagara please visit: ymcaofniagara.org