We’re looking for a dedicated, dependable, and driven professional with a positive attitude to join our team and take the lead role in helping to make a meaningful difference in our community.
Thorold Municipal Non-Profit Housing Corporation (TMNPHC) is committed to supporting low-income housing in Thorold through the provision and development of quality affordable housing opportunities for both individuals and families, while promoting self-sufficiency and neighbourhood revitalization. Our goal is to build homes, create vibrant communities, invest in our people, and inform action through education that meaningfully contributes to the sustainable growth, economic security and overall health of our community.
The Office Manager is responsible for effectively overseeing the day-to-day operations and administration of tenant services, supervising office and building support staff, efficiently communicating and corresponding with internal and external stakeholders, and providing comprehensive support and assistance to the Board of Directors (BOD). The Office Manager must successfully implement, coordinate, and maintain all social and affordable housing program initiatives, standards and strategic objectives, while consistently ensuring strict compliance with applicable legislation, agreement requirements, and TMNPHC policies and procedures.
• Serve as a welcoming, informative and helpful first point of contact for all tenants and take initiative to act on their behalf to ensure their ongoing safety, security and satisfaction.
• Calculate and collect rent payments, investigate lease infractions, and resolve tenant arrears by efficiently negotiating repayment action and arranging repayment schedules.
• Respond proactively to emerging issues using sound judgement in deciding on the appropriate action to take to resolve the problem(s).
• Perform administrative duties related to the Tenancy Agreement and renewal process, interpreting policies and procedures for tenants and their families as needed
• Coordinate TMNPHC actions at LTB hearings, Provincial Court, and Small Claims Court, as required by the BOD
• Handle all inbound and outbound calls, always providing a professional level of service
• Perform all housing and tenancy services administration (i.e. lettings, rent accounting, voids)
• Maintain office efficiency by establishing best policies, standards, controls and procedures.
• Perform relevant data entry and record keeping activities
• Maintain knowledge of legal requirements, government regulations and contractual agreement(s).
Supervision & Coordination
• Oversee office and maintenance support staff, ensuring all work is done efficiently, professionally, and within the legislative framework, established procedures, budgets, and deadlines
• Assist and support co-workers and external contacts to promote positive working relationships.
• Supervise contractors providing grounds and building services and authorize payments
• Proactively communicate tenant needs and requests to the Maintenance Supervisor
• Correspond and coordinate with external suppliers, repair services, city officials, and contractors.
BOD & Budget Support
• Schedule and attend BOD meetings, create meeting agendas, and take detailed meeting minutes
• Lead in the preparation of, and adherence to, the annual operating budget based on actuals, quotes and estimates for operating accounts in consultation with the Bookkeeper and Treasurer
• Prepare and provide data and recommendations on recurring requirements and management work plans; monitor and control related expenditures
• Provide written maintenance reports, monthly, for the TMNPHC board and committee meetings
• Assist and provide support to the BOD on all matters related to the operations and administration of tenant services and offer counsel to ensure compliance with all governing legislation.
• Office setting, primarily
• Requires fine finger movement in keying in data to computer system, report writing and researching
• Occasional travel (i.e. rental units, contractor workspaces, etc.)
• Required to deal with difficult or belligerent tenants, occasionally
• Availability to work flexible hours
• “Rent Geared to Income (RGI)” course certificate, an asset
• Valid Class ‘G’ driver’s license and self-transportation required
Certificate, diploma or degree in business administration, social services, or related field, an asset.
Key Candidate Competencies
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Well versed in the rights and responsibilities as outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA)
• Exceptional customer service skills (i.e. attentive, communicative, empathetic, results-focused)
• Knowledge of general bookkeeping principles and practices
• Effective organization and time management skills
• Ability to exhibit patience and understanding when dealing with difficult tenants/clients.
• Skilled at calculating, comparing, analyzing, interpreting, and organizing a variety of data
• Ability to work efficiently in a team setting and maintain productive working relationships
• Capable of coordinating and multiple tasks while paying great attention to detail and deadlines.
• Willingness to learn, adapt, and take initiative.
• Three to five (3-5) years’ experience working in housing services or a similar property management-related environment, an asset
• Three to five (3-5) years’ experience working as a leader, administrator and/or coordinator within an office setting, highly preferred.
How to Apply
If you think your experience, skills and career aspirations are aligned with this opportunity – please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include “Office Manager” in the subject field of your email and submit by the July 4th deadline.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a safe, healthy, diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.