Organization: Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development
Division: Employment and Training
City: Hamilton, St Catharines
Job Term: 2 Temporary assignments/contracts up to 12 months with possibility of extension
Job Code: 09OAD – Office Administration 09
Salary: $25.89 – $30.18 Per Hour*
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 183302
Are you an administrative professional committed to providing excellent customer service in a fast paced environment? If so, consider this opportunity to provide a range of administrative, program and financial support services related to employment programs to support our Employment and Training Division.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Prepare and review new client application files, review applications for accuracy and completeness
• Provide a range of administrative and program activities related to employment programs including the invigilation and marking of written trade, modular and other examinations to support service delivery
• Prepare a variety of correspondence and other materials for clients and/or staff
• Provide quality customer service to clients at front counter and reception, responding to general inquiries (in person, by phone or email)
• Process contracts and enter information into database systems
• Work closely with unit staff to respond to and coordinate ministry requests for information and reporting requirements
• Provide financial and budget management support services
• Process office accounts payables and receivables
How do I qualify?
- For the bilingual vacancy only, you must possess oral French language skills at the advanced level and written French language skills at the advanced minus level. Your proficiency level will be confirmed before hire.
• These positions require frequent travel
- You have demonstrated communication, interpersonal and customer service skills to deal effectively with clients both in person and over the phone and by email (e.g. explain procedures and recommend problem resolution) and prepare correspondence and reports.
• You are able to gather information from clients, and maintain confidentiality, tact and diplomacy when working with members of the public.
- You have knowledge of procedures, guidelines, processes and practices related to financial administration (e.g. invoice payment, budgeting and forecasting, supply and inventory maintenance) and general office administration including electronic filing systems, tracking and records management.
• You have an understanding of employment services and related programs and activities.
• You are able to interpret and apply relevant employment legislation, regulations and other practices and procedures such as Freedom of Information (FOI) in order to answer inquiries from clients.
Other Essential Skills:
- You have analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
• You have extensive planning, organizing and coordinating skills to handle multiple projects as well as perform regular duties.
• You are able to work in a team environment.
• You have computer skills and proficiency in office software such as word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti- racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
How to Apply
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Monday, June 27, 2022 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.